Wednesday, July 12, 2017

WCW #17 Paint Outside of the Box



Happy Watercolor Wednesday to you! This post is a little late today because I've been operating on island time. Mr. Pat and I have been enjoying deep sea fishing, bay fishing, with a dash of eating good island food and shopping. That explains all of the beach scenes for this week. And all of these paintings are outside of my comfort zone. Okay, all of watercolor is outside my comfort zone, but by focusing on the modern florals, I felt I was making progress. Painting a different subject has brought me back to square one mainly because I'm still relying on an ability to draw or sketch out what I'm painting...even if it is with a brush. I figured a Nautilus would be pretty easy to paint. It's just a spiral, right? The reference was actually a sand representation, so it had the basic shape, but not the colors. I could, and should, have pulled up a reference photo, but I didn't. I created my own extra-large Nautilus overtaking the sea!


This abstract was inspired by some pillows in our condo. The colors reminded me of the beautiful deep sea colors, so I thought that would be a great title page for this latest journal. I've said that I like the smaller size before, but after painting in another journal close to this size, I'm finding that I have more room and freedom to create works. I'm truly loving this journal.


To capture the feel of yesterday, I decided to paint this scene. The saying comes from an accent piece in the condo, and the umbrella was inspired by an Instagram post of a beach scene in Italy. I opted to paint one umbrella and add the flip flops. I do like how the boardwalk turned out. I used a mixture of Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber and Payne's Gray. All of the blues are a variety of  Cobalt, Cerulean and Thalo. I also used Viridian mixed in to create various hues of aqua. With all of this risk-taking, I'm happy that I discovered something in the process. I painted the ocean colors on either side of the boardwalk, first. Then I decided to add the umbrella. I wasn't sure how it would turn out given the transparency of watercolor. But because the values of the umbrella were same, just more pigment, I was able set the umbrella on top of the water, and even the boardwalk. This was a happy accident and surprise, and I do think knowing this will help me with my florals.


I think this one is my favorite so far. I watched Ohn Mar Win paint some loose coral shapes, and decided to do the same. I did google a reference photo this time, and while the fish are a little misshapen, I do like the depth and variation of the scene. For the corals in all of the paintings, I used a combination of Cadmium Red Hue, Alizarin Crimson, and Cadmium Yellow.

Thanks for stopping by, and until next week paint your heart out...and dare to take a few risks!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by! Have a blessed day!