Wednesday, June 28, 2017

WCW #15: Inspiration


Inspired by the beautiful pink blooms on our Crepe Myrtle tree
When I began this journey in March 2017, I really didn't have a plan for my progression. I just started painting. In order to do that, I have been relying upon other's pieces and demonstrations to produce my art. While I have several unique pieces, today's post is all about drawing inspiration from what is around me. The painting above is inspired by two photos I took of the flowering Crepe Myrtle in our yard. Every year, the showy tree does not fail to produce gorgeous blooms and foliage.

Crepe Myrtle Leaves-close up
I began with the leaves and the woody stems. I used a simple shape for the leaves with a watery concentration of Sap Green and Viridian Hue. As I added the leaves, I also dropped in more concentrated colors to add variation. Then I painted the woody stems in Burnt Sienna, Payne's Gray, and Raw Umber mix. By touching the base of each leaf, I was able to transition from the brown to the green gradually.

Crepe Myrtle Blooms
Next, I decided to treat the blooms with a wet-in-wet technique. This produced the lacy effect of all of the individual flowers which make up the total bloom. Instead of wetting the entire area, I dotted clean, clear water where I wanted the blooms to go. Then I dotted Permanent Rose in the dots of water and all around until I had the desired shape. After the pink hue dried a bit, I added hints of the stem and round balls for the buds.

What I love about watercolor is this entire process took less than an hour. I was able to incorporate all of the techniques I have been learning over the past few months, and it feels good to produce something that is all my own.

Please leave a comment below and let me know how you draw inspiration. What is your process for producing your art? I'd love to hear from you. Until next week, paint your heart out!

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty! I love when crepe myrtles bloom in the various colors.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Have a blessed day!