Wednesday, May 31, 2017

WCW #12: Layers!

Earl of East London's Storefront @earlofeastlondon on Instagram
Happy Watercolor Wednesday everyone! It's the last day of May which means school is out, and my busy season of curriculum writing and presentations begin. I had so much to do this past weekend that I decided to scrap all of those plans and commit to a detailed watercolor interpretation of a storefront! That gets the job done, right? This piece required patience, sketching, and layering to come remotely close to the photo. To see the inspiration, head over to @earlofeastlondon on instagram.

Sketch and first layer
I intended to take photos of the process along the way, but I got so wrapped up in this project that I only ended with the two photos. The photo above contains the first steps of  sketching and light washes for the window panes, brick mortar, sidewalk, window sill, and the top of the window. I was working with a 1/2" flat for the window panes and that worked well, but I knew that the brick would require finesse with a small round or buy a 1/4" flat. Since it was Saturday when I worked on this painting...I bought the 1/4# flat. I'm glad I did, because that made the brick process much easier. 

Garden Leaves
Earlier in the week, I followed along with Louise De Masi on Skillshare. She teaches a fantastic course called Herbs in Watercolor. She is an excellent artist and educator. She breaks each step down and clearly talks you through what she is doing and why she is doing it. For example, she always starts with a yellow-green wash layer for all of her leaves working from light to dark. Okay...I do know that is what we're supposed to do in watercolor, but I've worked with acrylics most of my life, and the opposite is true. So, I'm having to retrain myself a little šŸ˜ƒ! The veins of the leaves are a little heavy, and I think I have a fix for that after Louise's feedback.

Working in Layers
Thanks for taking the time to stop by today! Please leave a comment below and let me know your processes for building depth to your watercolor paintings. I'd love to hear from you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by! Have a blessed day!