Wednesday, April 19, 2017

WCW #6--Just Do It!


My favorite from the past week: Feather-Day 13
Hello and happy Watercolor Wednesday to you! This week's post is all about jumping in and taking risks. The nice thing about keeping a watercolor journal is the opportunity to explore. Self-criticism is my number one talent, and over the years I have had to tame the nasty voice again and again. I haven't mastered it yet, but I have told myself that if I will commit to trying new things, I can always go back later and try again to make it better. That seems to have quenched the growling for now.

Day 15: Brush Techniques
So, I've been practicing brush and water control for the past few weeks, and it occurred to me that I really don't have to wait until I feel like all of that is under control. I can have fun with the process and just dive in! We really don't learn anything without failing. The following is my list of crucial ingredients for learning:
  • technique
  • practice
  • application
  • failure
  • repeat the process all over again until you have achieved success!
The photos in this post show paintings where I combined technique and practice with application. The feather above was created after watching a video on Skillshare. If you don't know about Skillshare, it's a community of learners and teachers who share what they've learned with you. The lessons are in YouTube format, and yes, you can probably find everything you need for free on YouTube. However, for a small amount monthly, you can explore all sorts of classes that go into more depth and break down the steps to ensure success. You have an opportunity to upload your work and have the instructors give feedback. The feather above and a few other pieces were created after watching Peggy Dean's 10 Easy Watercolor Projects. Click on the link to get a free class, if you'd like to see what it's all about:  Skillshare 10 Easy Watercolor Projects. You will have to sign up to get the free class. Now on to this week's projects:

Although Skillshare is a great platform, you really don't have to pay big bucks to learn how to watercolor. There are plenty of demos to be found on Instagram, bloggers, company websites, and YouTube. The piece below was inspired by a @hello_worldpics on Instagram. I love following them as they have the most vibrant, colorful pictures from all around the globe. The window does seem to be a little unbalanced, but that really is how it looked to me. Life is a little off, right folks?!! 

Day 11/100 Window in Columbia
The cute lady bugs were also painted after watching an Instagram quick clip by @weilis.whimsies. The technique is wet-in-wet blending and line drawing on top of the circles. This was so much fun to create, and it turned out swell, too!

Day 12: Ladybug Fantasy
And finally, after I finished the Ladybugs, I used the paints on my pallet to create the mosaic below. I didn't have a plan, I just started with the colors, painted shapes, and continued on until I ran out of room, basically.
Day 12, too: Mosaic
I hope you have enjoyed this week's post. Please leave a comment below...I'd love to view and comment on your work as well. Be sure to leave information...Instagram tag or blog link...so I can find you.

Until next week...paint your heart out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by! Have a blessed day!