Monday, April 25, 2016

Papertrey April Blog Hop Challenge

Blog-hop-logo
Papertrey April Blog Hop Challenge

Hello everyone! This weekend was busier than usual, so I wasn't able to participate in many challenges. However, I was determined to create something for Papertrey Ink's April Blog Hop. I suppose I think all of the challenges are hard, but this one was particularly challenging. The image is a series of circles, each having it's own various shades of reds and browns/tans. We were asked to 'look deeper' beyond the geometry and be inspired the layering techniques. Well, that's a little tricky for me because I love geometric patterns. 

So I thought and thought and thought some more. I knew I wanted to make my husband a Father's Day card, so I let that be my muse. I have strange tastes in color, and one of my favorite colors is a deep reddish brown. My husband and I both love Southwestern Art, and the paintings we are drawn to most include that rustic red dirt hue found in West Texas. 

Happy Father's Day
I'm in love with the Text Style Scribbles die I recently purchased, and I figured that would be a good one to mimic the geometric shape in the inspiration photo. To achieve our beloved West Texas dirt, I blended Pure Poppy with Burnt Sienna. I had a tricky time finding the right weight of paper to die cut the scribbles so I could blend over them. I finally pulled out a scrap of yellow Bazzil cardstock, and that did the trick.

The first thing I did was to lay the circles on the left side of the card and blend over that. Since I was blending on the card itself, I started with Distress Ink--Tattered Rose. Then I blended in some Burnt Sienna. For the Scribbles and the strip of brown, I blended Pure Poppy and Burnt Sienna. This helped me achieve the 'layered' or gradation of colors. I topped if off by stamping the sentiment several times: first in Tattered Rose, then Burnt Sienna, and finally I used 02 Micron Pigma Ink to layer over the stamping. This gave the sentiment a 'fuzzy' look...we'll say that was on purpose! I could have, and probably should have, used my Misti, but if we were going for layers, I wanted that to come through.

"Fuzzy" Sentiment!
I finished the card by stamping some Southwestern arrows in Tattered Rose and Burnt Sienna. I think the finished card looks a lot like a worn saddle or suede. Thanks for stopping by!

Supplies:
Papertrey Ink: Pure Poppy, Burnt Sienna, Text Style Scribbles & Keep It Simple: Father, Stamper's Select Cardstock
Tim Holtz: Tattered Rose, Ink Blending Tool and pads
Cocoa Daisy: Limited Edition Stamps: Cacti

10 comments:

  1. Great stamp and die choice! Fun masculine card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! Love the way you used it for masking too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this masculine approach to the challenge and a great story behind the card too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great take on the inspiration piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really fantastic. Your husband is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely brilliant, Cindy! Perfect for the challenge & I bet your hubby will adore this card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I like this!! what a wonderful Father's Day card!! your color selection is awesome!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great job with the circle die cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab masculine card - love how you've used the circles as a stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cindy, this is an awesome card and great interpretation of the inspiration photo! Love how you used the scribbles in different ways. Perfect Father's Day card!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Have a blessed day!